A Mixed Bag

Haven’t had any actual gaming in since Saturday’s ‘painting day’, but I haven’t been completely idle (though getting all 1,000 Gamerscore Points on Mass Effect 2 did sap a little time over the weekend).

First up, the Girls (as I call them) said they would be interested in a small but long-running D&D campaign, just me and them (ahh, sweet).  As they got fired up about characters (a Dragontotem Shaman and Warlock, it looks like at the moment), I started sketching out a campaign.  It had to be one that relied mainly (or, better, purely) on published adventures, for reasons I have covered before, so I hit my collection of old adventures.  I thought I might find something in the old B-series of Basic adventures to kick things off – maybe Horror on the Hill, the very first scenario I ever bought when I was a wee nipper.

As it happened, I actually came up with two campaigns, and possibly a third if I decide to delve into Mysteries of the Moonsea.  However, at the moment it boils down to either a desert-based campaign (perhaps around Mulhourand in the Realms), underpinned with the Desert of Desolation and the Desert Nomads series of adventures, or a sea-based one, which will feature, among others, War Rafts of Kron and, an old favourite of mine, the Isle of Dread.  Both campaigns will only go up to 10th-12th level with these adventures (though the Girls will go rocketing up in level as the XPs will be divided only between two of them), but I figured after that we could have a play with Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, and perhaps go seriously planar after that by pulling in some Planescape stuff.  We’ll see.

If all that happens, I will actually have three regular campaigns on the trot – which is more roleplaying than I have ever done in my life, I think.  And they say the hobby is dying!

On the miniatures front, I finally sat down and started some serious work on my jungle terrain board.  I thought the individual trees and vegetation would take a serious amount of time, as I was planning on doing them the same as my miniatures bases (PVA, sand, brown paint, drybrush lighter brown, clumps of static grass. . .).  Then it suddenly hit me – the bases should be mostly green, not brown! Anyway, this project should now be completed a lot sooner than I thought, and I’ll see if I can get some piccies done over the coming weekend.  The one fly in the ointment is that I used MDF as the bases of the terrain pieces, as I did not want them to warp from the glue or get damaged over the years.  Brilliant idea, but MDF soaks up Goblin Green like it is going out of fashion.  One pot managed to stretch to just five terrain bases, which is not so good.   I am awaiting delivery of more Goblin Green, but this could hold things up for a few days.

Anyway, I think you’ll like what I have done with the jungle terrain, and I believe the final effect will be quite stunning.  It is really easy to do, and I’ll give you the full skinnie on how I did it, hopefully in a few days.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: