My Catachan Imperial Guard (sorry, Astra Militarum) plod along at a restrained pace – absolutely no rush to get them to the table at the moment. However, this weekend, I did finally complete the first armoured vehicles.
The first was a bog-standard Leman Russ – Battle Cannon, Lascannon, Heavy Bolters. Absolutely nothing too exciting.
The numbers on the side of the turret signify it is (in reverse order) the first tank of the second squadron of the first armoured company.
With the Imperial Guard transfer sheet from Forge World, I was able to christen it the Iron Duke.
Following the US-in-Vietnam theme for the Catachans, I kept the colour scheme to a simple olive green with the occasional slogan and kill marking popping up. I do have an idea to plaster vegetation all over these vehicles to act as camo netting. I don’t want to do the ‘normal’ thing of using bandages of gauze to do WWII-era nets, but make it look more natural. I have an idea how to go about this, but it needs some more thought. So, I may be coming back to these tanks in the future. Right now, however, they are ready to roll.
The other vehicle I managed to finish was a basic Chimera.
The aquila on the turret signifies this is a command vehicle and, frankly, I can only see my Company Command Squad being scooted about the battlefield in this at the moment. We’ll see how it goes though, never know when the full-on mechanised approach will become appealing.
Just picked up another Leman Russ from eBay, bog standard again. Not on the painting table yet but I’ll get it undercoated promptly, as these vehicles really do not take that long to do.