I picked up this terrain piece when it first came out but, aside from assembling and undercoating, I did not do much with it for a whole because a) I had some projects that took precedence and b) it looked a mite fiddly and I was not super excited about that.
As it turned out, a) resolved itself with just a bit of work and b) did not apply at all! I whizzed through some bits and pieces this weekend quicker than I had anticipated and so was able to pop this one into the painting line and get it finished.
Starting with a basic black undercoat, I gave the whole thing a very heavy drybrush (almost straight painting it on) of Mechanicus Grey. Was debating whether to simply drybrush on top of this but in the end went ahead with a coating of Nuln Oil first – and I was glad I did. It really gave the the base coat proper depth.
After that, it just had a drybrush of Celestial Grey and then a very light drybrush of pure white – and that was 80% of the model done!
Then it was on to the metalwork – just two stages on this. Started with the silver, doing it all in Leadbelcher, followed by a coating of Nuln Oil, then drybrushed with Runefang Steel.
Which just left the gold – the base coat is Balthazar Gold, washed with Agrax Earthshade, then drybrushed Griffon Gold (one of their weird drybrush paints – but it works!).
And that was it. A nice big terrain piece that has presence on the table, wizards will love it, and it does not take as long to paint as you might think!